Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuna Eats Crowe: Top Ten (or so) Music Moments in Film

Empire magazine recently asked Cameron Crowe (Say Anything, Vanilla Sky, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous) to list his ‘Top 10 Music Moments in Film.’ He dealt out a dozen or so goodies that for the most part I agree with. However, I also decided to offer up my own list of favorites. I tried to entirely avoid musicals or movies about bands/music. Also, only the bottom three on my list are used thematically in opening/closing credits, the rest being actual plot devises that are somewhat ‘pivotal’ to the film’s narrative … Again, these are my personal favorites. I realize there are many epic music movie moments I’m leaving off the list (Ferris Beuller, Reservoir Dogs, Beetlejuice, Wyane's World, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc. ).

10) Apocalypse Now – “The End,” The Doors … Now that’s what I call a montage. Incredibly well shot considering the entire film crew and actors were all high out of their minds the entire time they were filming. Martin Sheen even suffered a heart attack.

9)Young Guns II – “Blaze of Glory,” Bon Jovi … I was about ten years old when the sequel to Young Guns came out and I somehow got to see it right away despite all the violence. It’s in all likelihood the first western that I really dug a lot. Most of all, I recall jamming out to ‘Blaze of Glory’ as Emilio Estevez rides off into the sunset. Not to mention the Oscar nomination the song earned.

8) Dazed and Confused – “Sweet Emotion,” Aerosmith; and “Slow Ride,” Foghat … Epitomes of the film, and an epic film at that. Nuff said.

7) Say Anything – “In Your Eyes,” Peter Gabriel … Ugh! Part of me still believes in that kind of stuff. Otherwise it wouldn’t get me every time.

6) Waiting for Guffman – “Midnight at the Oasis,” Maria Mauldaur … Ron and Shelia can sing to me wherever, whenever.

5) O’ Brother Where Art Thou? – “I am a Man of Constant Sorrow,” Soggy Bottom Boys … Might be the catchiest scene ever put to film. Coen Bros., Clooney, and a country ditty! I dare you to keep your leg from tapping.

4) Parenthood – “Close to You,” The Carpenters … The serenade cliché has been imitated countless times, but I will always prefer Rick Moranis.

3) Casablanca – “As Time Goes By,” Herman Hepfeld … In some movies everything seems to come together flawlessly. The music seems to play second fiddle to the acting here, and rightfully so.

2) The Big Lebowski – “Just Dropped in to See What Condition My Condition Was In,” Kenny Rogers & The First Edition … Perfect blend of montage and song. Perfect!

1) Back to the Future – “Johnny B. Goode,” Chuck Berry … Michael J. Fox rocks the ‘Under the Sea’ dance, circa 1955, in this unforgettable rendition. I have the hardest time not applauding Fox’s performance each and every time despite the silent gymnasium … “Guess you guys aren’t ready for that. But your kids are gonna love it.”

Honorable Mention





2 comments:

Kristie R. said...

ApocNow: not only was the cast a mess, but Coppolla was out of his g-d mind the entire time. watch the dvd documentary about the making of the film. you'll be like "whaaaaaaaat."

S-Anything: Um, that moment is amazing. Also, Andy and I did that as a duo act in high school. I think we took like 2nd place with it. It was stupid. We made it a joke and used mini props. The blocking was ridic. We're super great.

DazConf: FUCK YES!

Bowski: I appreciate that you put this movie on your list. You would've had to answer to my fists otherwise.

Siiiick list. I like reading these sorts of things.

Scott Daniel Boras said...

The Dude was holding the top spot for a long while before I recalled MJF in 'Back to the Future' ... Almost came down to a coin flip but I'm happy with what I decided.

Also, in 'Parenthood,' "Nathan, we try so hard to keep these kids off drugs," might be the most well placed and perfectly delivered lines in cinematic history.