Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Wienie Roast: RIP Bologna

The world of popular culture has had a rough go of it as of late. Up until now HTM has resisted posting about the deaths of Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Steve McNair, and OxyClean. Simply put, there are far greater minds and infinitely more well informed opinions out there to comment on such tragedies. Nonetheless, the most recent pop culture passing has left us in deep mourning.

Oscar G. Mayer, retired chairman of Oscar Mayer Foods, passed away on Monday of old age (he was 95). Mayer was the third generation owner of a meat packing company started in Chicago by his grandfather around 1900. Though his father is credited with bringing about the Wienermobile, it was during OGM's tenure that the indelible songs "Oh I Wish I was an Oscar Mayer Wiener" and "My Bologna Has a First Name ..." really took off.
HTM is recognizing Oscar G. Mayer for three key reasons. First, as a blog that takes its name, charisma, and disposition from canned tuna fish, we have a particular appreciation for those who've pioneered the manufacturing and popularity of heavily processed meats. Secondly, you can't spell "bologna" without "blog." And finally, we are very huge fans of the famous Oscar Mayer jingles, and for this reason alone we will forever be envious of Oscar Mayer's accomplishments and legacy. I mean, how epic would it feel if everyone in America sang, "Oh I Wish I Was a [your name here] Wiener!"

No comments: