Monday, June 15, 2009

Bunnies and Bloodlust: The Count on Sesame St. Never had It this Good


Everywhere I go, all I ever hear about are vampires. It’s gotten so bad that I’ve begun to wear garlic and believe in Jesus. No doubt about it, our popular perception of the vampire has become so culturally saturated that you’re now just as likely to see vampires depicted in non-horror genres over portrayals playing out the old Bella Lugosi model of yester-year. Most recently, the second season debut of True Blood aired on HBO, which has resulted in a mania of fanged-fan-fervor that can only be matched by the bloodlust caused by the Twilight franchise. Fittingly, perhaps the most underrated movie from last year was Let the Right One In, a contemporary vampire parable that combines two of the most frightening features of modern horror: children and the undead.

So why is it that we’re so drawn to vampire stories? Of course, it goes without saying that our modern-day incantations of the vampire owe a big debt of gratitude to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. For seven seasons Buffy’s producers revitalized the idea of the vampire and gave it human qualities that resonated with younger, more demanding audiences. Now the Buffy tweens have all grown up – they want more vampires – and perhaps their adult sensibilities are reshaping who vampires are becoming and how they are behaving. There has always been a strong link between vampires and the exotic/erotic. Nonetheless, the sexual overtones, tensions, plot points depicted in Twilight and True Blood are indicative of how audiences fantasize their “macabre” (or perhaps just experimental) impulses in the comfort of more recognizable settings (Sunnydale and Bon Temps as opposed to Transylvania). Because vampires are so abject, having qualities that are both familiar yet unusual (though desirable), contemporary vampire motifs provide a means to fantasize about such sexual transgressions, the carnal taking/possession of another person’s soul/essence, or the tainting of innocence. This scene from Paris, je t’aime starring Elijah Wood demonstrates the idea compactly. Notice how quickly his terror turns to seduction and lust. Even in Nosferatu, F. W. Murnau’s 1922 classic, evil can only be defeated through the vampire’s rape/murder of the sacrificed female protagonist.

Finally, we here at HTM would like to feature a vampire story that has left an indelible mark on the genre as well as my personal happiness. James Howe first published his story about a vampire bunny that sucked the juice out of vegetables in 1979. Bunnicula ended up spawning six other books, including the harrowing epic Celery Stalks at Midnight.


For more info regarding the impact horror films have had on popular culture check out
Kendall Phillip's Projected Fears.

5 comments:

A.L. Stone said...

I love me some Let The Right One In. Also, no love for Underworld?

Unknown said...

Ok...this is very frightening....I just spent the weekend watching the first season of True Blood and, in true nerd form, began to wonder what the societal implications were. In other words...what is going on in our world that is causing us to turn to vampire tales?

Kristie R. said...

honestly, "twilight" weakened the genre. I hate that ish. I watched the movie and had a good laugh, but then realized it does nothing exciting or original for vampire lore. rather, it just goes against it. "vampires are just like us! they like baseball! they have nice families! but they never have to sleep! they can be outside! they turn into diamonds!" also, robert pattinson can't act his way out of a paper bag. ughhh, give me brad pitt/tom cruise/kirsten dunst in "interview with a vampire" any day. OR! gary oldman in "dracula." ha, that movie is the weirdest.

"true blood" is frakkin awesome. I can't get enough.

you saw "let the right one in"? have we discussed it? I can't remember. brilliant, brilliant movie. I need to read the book.

Adam Johnson said...

Thank God someone else read the Bunnicula books!
I feel like I've been taking crazy pills and finally the fever has broken!
(please ignore my rantings)

Adam Johnson said...

P.S. I generally loathe the over-saturation of the vampire genre, though I'm willing to give Let The Right One In a shot.